|Yunnan Kunming UNESCO World Heritage Site | Shilin - Black Stone Forest|
After a night rest at Stone Forest Hotel in Shilin County, located 85 km southeast of Kunming, we embarked in expedition to this unique natural site on a fresh morning. Just like most tourist spots in China, we had to arrive as early as possible to beat hoards of tourist. This stone park was originally named 'Black Forest' but in 2001, it was renamed to 'Stone Forest' after being recognized as one of amazing geographical sites in the China. In 2007, Stone Forest captured the limelight on the world center stage, listing itself as one of the famous UNESCO's World Heritage Sites.
From geological perspective, researchers had proven that this place used to be a large ocean about 20 million years ago. When the ocean subsided, tonnes of creatures were buried underneath and then became solid as years passed by. Earth struck, then caused some of the earth formation to rise up and resulted in this wonderful karsts stone formation.
Among the most unique selling points about Stone Forest or fondly called as Shilin are:
1. The entire area of Stone Forest is very large, approximately 350 kilometer squares, i.e. about half of the size of Singapore. To cover the whole area, it would take at least 4 days. Once, there was a Frenchman who used to stay here for 22 years and wrote an in-depth dictionary.
2. Rocks in Shilin are formed naturally. There are lots of them, tallest ones being 50 meters. World's highest natural pinnacle is in Sarawak Mulu Cave of Borneo Island which reaches 77 meters.
3. Rocks in Shilin are of various sizes and shapes. One will have to use your imagination to enjoy the scenery at Shilin.
Due to time constraint, we only visited a fraction of Stone Forest. Hoping the photos here are able to paint some ideas about the natural treasure of Stone Forest.
Admission fee: RMB140 per pax
Buggy car rental: RMB22 per pax (optional)
Popular of Late
- Hi Theana, I heard this restaurant has moved to On... More...
- hi. are u guys halal? More...
By thena love her rumie
- My family love this place too More...
- That's true. Nowadays, the opportunity to experien... More...
- Hi Nicole, Thanks for dropping by. So far that I k... More...